Friday, May 13, 2011

A Family 10,000 Strong

Just to dash everyone's hopes right away, I won't be writing about anything grandiose or majestic about the end of high school and our futures.  Not because I'm not feeling those things, but because if you want to read that stuff you can look at almost any one of the other forty-odd blogs.  Instead, I'd like to talk about why I like high school, specifically our high school.  Today was really a microcosm of why I love Chagrin.  Take my interaction with Ms. Serensky (can I call her Bobi Jo now, or does that have to wait until after graduation?) at lunch today.  First of all, she sat down at our table.  There was a long silence as we waited for some update on our blogging assignment, but she ACTUALLY JUST TALKED TO US!!!! Teachers really seem to care about the students, even outside of school.  She asked about getting a copy of our Springfest video just to use to annoy Mr. Maas.  This is what really makes Chagrin high school feel like a community - the teachers and students all interact with each other, they intermingle like one big family.  That's something that will be hard to find at college, that sort of intimate atmosphere, so I'm glad I enjoyed it while I could.

2 comments:

  1. Alex, I feel the same exact way. I love how our students and faculty have such a great relationship with one another. We are so lucky to go to a school that has so many traditions. When we rode our bikes to school, rooted for our favorite dodgeball teams, and watched the videos, it all reminded me what an amazing, close knit community we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, I agree with you in saying that today really reminded me just how community like our school is. Things like the walk, and dodgeball, we really can predict everything to come on spring fest (minus the flying aces this year...whats up with that). What our school has managed to create is one big family. Our grade is close too, but the whole school as a whole because of the inter family connections and longtime chagrin loyalty, and of course school size, has formed something unforgettable!

    ReplyDelete